Theodore S. Gonzalves is a scholar of comparative cultural studies who has taught in the United States (California, Hawaiʻi, and Maryland), Spain, and the Philippines. His research interests include Asian American cultural studies, Filipino/American histories and cultures, and the relationship between social movements and cultural expressions. Professor Gonzalves is associate professor and a former chair of the Department of American Studies at the University of Maryland, Baltimore County, where he is also an affiliate faculty member in the Asian Studies program.
In the field of performing arts, Professor Gonzalves served on the board of directors for Kumu Kahua Theatre in Honolulu; the advisory board for Bindlestiff Studio, a San Francisco performing arts venue; co-founded Jeepney Dash Records, an artist-run recording label; played keyboards for the Legendary Bobby Banduria; and was musical director for “tongue in A mood” Theatre. Gonzalves’ musical work has been featured at concerts such as the Asian American Jazz Festival and theater & music festivals at the Cultural Center of the Philippines. He has also written, produced, and performed several scores for independent film projects.
Professor Gonzalves is currently president-elect of the Association for Asian American Studies. His term as the 21st president of the association begins in 2018. He lives in Washington, D.C.
- Migrant Musicians: Filipino Entertainers and the Work of Music Making, with R. Zamora Linmark, Karen Tongson, and Sarita Echavez See (2013)
- Carlos Villa and the Integrity of Spaces (2011)
- Filipinos in Hawaiʻi, with Roderick N. Labrador (2011)
- The Day the Dancers Stayed: Performing in the Filipino/American Diaspora (2009)
- Stage Presence: Conversations with Filipino American Performing Artists (2007)
Selected awards and fellowships
- Senior Postdoctoral Fellow, Smithsonian Institution
- Florence Tan Moeson Fellow, Library of Congress
- U.S. Fulbright Senior Scholar, Council for International Exchange of Scholars
- Visiting Artist and Scholar, American Academy in Rome (declined)
- Meet the Composer Award, Meet the Composer Fund
You can learn more about his work at theogonzalves.com